Tuesday, May 20, 2014

NOVA Open Charitable Foundation Imperial Knight WIP






This may be one of my best paint jobs. It is still in progress, but to my eyes it looks far better than some of my work immediately preceding it. That is good news for you(unless you hate yellow), because you can win this Imperial Knight! This model will be raffled off as part of the NOVA Open Charity Foundation's Ultramarines army. Proceeds go towards Doctors Without Borders, an organization my wife and I strongly support. If I am remembering properly, the Heroes of Armageddon project earned around 30,000 dollars for charity. Can we surpass that? Think of all the good it will do.

This has been an unusual build since it involved electronics and fiber optics, but I am really pleased with how it is coming together. The rhino doors are just tests that show the streaking that will be applied to the model after the chipping has been completed. One of the effects which does not show up so well in photos, but looks great in person is the airbrush shading of the metal trim. In photos it just reflects, but in person the color modulation from bright steel to dark metal can be seen. I may use a little dull coat to cut down on the reflection and make it stand out more, but that is tbd.

11 comments:

  1. This is the best Knight Paint job I think I've seen so far and its not even finished! Shame I wont be able to win it myself but well done on putting the effort in for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might not be able to win it, but tell your friends and one them might!

      Delete
  2. Damn. That is going to look nice next to all that blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zab. I am debating adding the weird loin cloth banner so I can work in some blue. I just haven't been able to convince myself that the tabard looks good no matter how it is painted.

      Delete
    2. You could always make it and not attach it if you still don't think it works :) I would leave it though as that kinght is meant to draw attention and will make a nice punch color for the blue and white of the Ultras

      Delete
  3. That yellow is really fantastic. I am so into yellow these days. It was never my favorite color, but recently it's really doing the job well. I must say, I normally loath lighting effects...IMO everything should be done with paint. Lighting just looks tacky...but the lighting on this guy really adds a lot to it. Why? because you've got that strobe and the other variable lighting effects. It really makes it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about the lighting as well, but the effect generator and fiber optics kit really changed my mind. I think the yellow works so well because the superstructure is so dark. Contrast is king here.

      I love those Dark Eldar you painting. Deeply impressive.

      Delete
  4. Your yellow is amazing. Mind sharing some tips? I really like the attention to the weathering as well! Going to be a fantastic kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, a whole tutorial is inbound! One of the things we wanted to do with the NOVACF is make sure the winner of the charity drawing had a color guide so the force could be expanded in the future.

      Delete
  5. Amazing work, thank you

    ReplyDelete