Wednesday, June 5, 2013

That Was My Office




I almost never post non-40k things on my blog. It has always been an outlet of pure hobby for me. While preparing to leave work and go home to work on my Armies on Parade entry an employee notices smoke coming in from the hallway. A fire that started in the alley between the large building on the left (ours) and the house on the right climbed up the walls and engulfed our building. I was painting so furiously because I had three major sales trips starting monday. We've worked for 10 years to get to this point, to have these very special meetings overseas. And now we have nothing to show. I always knew there was a risk in having a single facility, but as a boutique software developer, sometimes I had to choose between having something to show, or having high availability. I have not processed everything yet.

There are now so many tasks in order to get new office space up and running. I am overwhelmed.

I have nowhere to go to work tomorrow. Those screenshots I decided not to take today because we were close to fixing a few visual bugs in the GUI are not possible now.

As the guy in charge at the office I have to maintain focus and calm tomorrow morning. I don't want to panic, but I am not ready to go into cool and calculating mode.  I am between feelings.

Sorry for the rant.

This sucks.

13 comments:

  1. the Important thing is that you are alright. Yes loss of property is devastating and takes time to come to terms with and accept, loss of life more so. I am sure everything will get itself sorted out in due course. Keep your chin up dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you are safe. Yes the things may be gone, but the ideas, and the knowledge gained from doing them is not. I wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh NO! Glad you are safe but this is a huge setback I am sure! Stay strong! I'm gonna locate a new painter for RoF. Take that off your plate for sure!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. Having lost work due to things I knew after-the-fact were 100$ preventable, I know this is crazy frustrating. Even at a medium sized shop we were suddenly surprised to find that some of our VM's didn't have the backup agent working properly, so when the entire array hardware failed and we lost all the storage there was no good restore point. All the best getting back on track. At least with a small boutique shop nobody knows your code better than you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! I'm really sorry to hear that, mate - glad to hear you're okay though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have literally had things burn to the ground on me before. You are safe and that is what matters. I know it doesn't sound great right now, but doing it all the second time around is easier because you know where you are going and can even make improvements. It will take time to recover, but believe me, you and your company will be better for it. Take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats terrible news sorry to hear it. I hope you can get over this hurdle and get back in business.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you have off site backups?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although not a follower, I want to wish you the best and am glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish you a prompt recovery, the fact that there is no life loss makes a really hard issue to be at least a bit pallatable is no confort, but calm down and set the example, you will be better after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We will endure. The jokes have finally started. One of my guys lost all 5 of his umbrellas and had to buy a new one today. It takes a while for the shock to wear off. I built the company with one other guy from the ground up. We slowly added office space, and then renovated it twice over the years. It takes a while to accept that the place I have walked to every work day for 10 years is gone. I am a creature of habbit.

    I suppose I should paint something....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry man. Keep your chin up. Jokes definitely help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredibly sorry to hear about your loss and hope that you can rebuild quickly as result of all the hard work leading up to this point in your life and career. My background is that of a healthcare professional and full-time fire fighter, and baring witness to sad and often uncontrollable events like this more so than I care for I’ve noticed a unique trait amongst all those I’ve seen move on and prosper following events like this. The people who endure, persevere and grow stronger in the wake of tragedy are those who have worked hard and have passion leading up to the tragedy they experience in life, priming themselves so to speak to take "the hit" and carry on and heal. All your hard work and commitment to your business will be the very thing that pulls you through this. I hope that you can take solace in all your accomplishment and success in life and continue on in a similar fashion, for it could be the very thing that guides you through this loss.
    I really do appreciate and enjoy your blog and thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete